Are you a current SSU Student?
- Change of major to Hutchins Liberal Studies requires SSU cumulative grade point average of 2.75.
- Complete GE area A2 with a grade of C- or better. Math 150 or 150B is recommended for GE area B4.
- You should be approaching 45 units in progress or complete by the time you apply.
- Complete change of major form with the Hutchins Department. Email Hutchins Department Advisor, Donna Garbesi for appointment firstname.lastname@example.org or call 707-664-2492.
- The priority change of major deadline for continuing SSU students is November 2 for spring admission, and March 29 for fall admission. Priority deadlines may be extended on a space available basis.
- Current SSU applicants are eligible for application to Interdisciplinary Studies, or Multiple Subject (elementary) Pre-credential Preparation.
Are you an incoming first-year student?
Eligibility to enroll in General Education English Composition (SAT Evidence Based Reading and Writing: 550, ACT English: 22, CSU EAP English “Ready”) or fulfillment of CSU “English Conditionally Ready” criteria (SAT Evidence Based Reading and Writing: 510–540, ACT: 19–21, with CSU approved 12th grade English course final grade of C- or better) is recommended for all Hutchins first year students.
- Indicate on your Sonoma State application that you would like Liberal Studies - Hutchins as you’re major. First year applicants are eligible for application to Interdisciplinary Studies, Multiple Subject (elementary) Pre-credential Preparation, or Blended (BA with Multiple Subjects credential).
- Incoming first-year students seeking enrollment in the accelerated Hutchins Track III: Blended Program are recommended to place into General Education math (SAT Math: 570, ACT Math: 23, EAP CSU Mathematics “Ready”) or fulfill CSU “Math Conditionally Ready” criteria (SAT Math: 520-560, ACT Math: 20-22, with CSU approved 12th grade math course final grade of C- or better). Blended students complete a BA in Liberal Studies and Multiple Subjects credential in a four year plan.
Are you a transfer student?
- Application requires a cumulative CSU transferable GPA of 2.75.
- Complete basic CSU transfer requirements: 60 CSU transferable units (30 units must be General Education (GE) units). Complete GE Area A1 Oral communication (Speech), GE Area A2 Written Communication (English Composition), A3 Critical Thinking and B4 Math completed with a C- or better.
- Indicate on your Sonoma State application form that you would like Liberal Studies - Hutchins as your major. Transfer students are eligible for application to Interdisciplinary Studies, or Multiple Subject (elementary) Pre-credential Preparation.